Bem Vindo

Boal

Monday, August 11, 2008

I think now that I have had time to think about why I came to Brazil and what I expected, I realized that my only expectations were for myself, which allowed me to have an open perspective. I was so glad that Boal interacted with us as much as he did, and took the time to explain things to us, often repeatedly. I hadn´t realized that the argument about whether or not RoD was therapy would even be an issue, and honestly, when it came up, I felt like drama therapy was infringing on my expereince. But I remember something a friend said to me before I started the drama terapy program, which was, "you will come to see everything through the eyes of drama therapy". This is true to a degree, but sometimes you must switch the lens for your own good...like Boal was saying, in order to teach TO to a group of graduate students, school children, or those with mental illness, you should come to their level, and then use the opportunity to teach things they may not know.
Also, I have been thinking about how these techniques would be useful in my work, and in my community (as always). I picture myself really being a part of PTO and te work they do in the states, as they relocate to Minneapolis. I feel privledged to have worked with Chris Vine, and then Boal himself, and now have an opportunity to be close to a major US group. I feel very much inspired by Boal and his jokers, especially Barbara, who is below:



0 comments: