Bem Vindo

Day 2: Journal Excerpts

Sunday, August 3, 2008



Last night someone was pulling at my door and trying to open it. I don´t know what he was saying-it scared the sit out of me because it woke me up. I called the front desk and 5 min later he was gone. Definately freaked me out.

This morning i went to the beach. The beach make so much sense to me as a place of healing.The water draws in and out refreshing you, draining the stress and all else away. I love the water. In Rio, the mountains line the beach also, so the view is amazing. I can´t imagine being held captive in a place so beautiful (as a slave). I wonder how my ancestors felt about see this, as opposed to those who were brought to the US, and what they saw.

P is here!!! We went to eat and catch up and really felt it was divine intervention that we were both on this trip. Not three hours after we had our little reunion, we were robbed (I was robbed) by three boys two blocks from the hotel.



They came up slowly and to my realization later on, deliberately. One held is hand out for change and then grabbed my necklace. He ran into the street with it and his friend behind him, not even running, but backing away as if to taunt us.
I felt utterly violated and full of pity for this child, who sould have been playing soccer-not stripping tourists of their jewelry. A third oy came from around the corner and we went into the street. I told P we should let them go, i really didnt know what i could have done otherwise. Strange place, strange language... I didnt want to chase them somewhere that would put me in more danger.
Then P said ¨No, we´re getting that chain back¨. And she started to run.

We chased them down until they turned a corner, and then we abandoned the chase to go to the police. There is a station next door to the Hotel, but they werent able to help us because they didnt speak english. The Hotel also sent us to the tourist poliuce in Leblon. Upset with the lack of help, I suggested we at least get the name of the street the boys ran up, to tell the tourist police when we called. (We were NOT going to Leblon, not for a necklace.)

We went around the back of the street at P´s suggesstion, in case they were scoping us out again and ran away. We waiting across the street from the hill they ran up that led into the favelas for about 5 minutes. Lo and behold, two boys saunter down the hill and go into a sidewalk eatery right across from us. We waited for awhile, talking about the situation, and wondering what would come next if they saw us.

They came out again after another few minutes and stood in front. (My heart was racing). They began to talk to a man standing there who seemed like he was connected to the eatery, or they knew well. Not a minute later, one boy pulls my chain from his pocket and hands it to the man. I say to P, ¨That´s it, that´s my chain¨. I dont remember what words we exchanged, but we split up and ran across the street, ambushed the boys and man, and grabbed the chain. And then we ran.

I am still reeling from this very eventful day...



Tonight we met, and spoke to Boal. He i as I thought. Bright, youthful, and so full of wisdom. I look forward to working with him.

We went out to eat. P mentioned he thinks this will be a good group.

I agree.

0 comments: