Bem Vindo

Day 1: Journal Excerpts

Saturday, August 2, 2008




Getting here has been one long day. Work@6:45a, Pack@10a, Flight@3:45p, Flight@8:30p(delayed, so actually 2:30a), Dinner w/friends @ 10p, Back to airport@12:30a, Fight at 2:30a, Rio@1:30p, Hotel@3p.

Many people speak english here, but I am definately at a disadvantage. Saw a few folks and checked into my room. Its very small, a bed and a bathroom, but just right for some winding down.

The city is amazing. So intense. So compact. I am not sure what i expected but it is definately less tropical that i expected it to be. Granted it is Winter now in Rio-I wish inter in Minnesota was like this :) The ´Favelas´ are right near the beach. They have an awesome view, but the culture clash is clear as a bell.

Went to dinner with DT folks. Introduced to the Rio buffet-style restaurants. Wish my sigficant other was here...Wish I spoke Portuguese! Rio at night is beautiful from a rooftop. I am so glad to have this little vacation. I NEED this badly. The sleep, the quiet, the non-work, the reading, the lack-of-stress. This has been worth the work to get here so far. Im looking forward to tomorrow!

0 comments: